Thursday, February 21, 2008

In Bruges

I really liked this movie. It wasn't what I thought it would be because I read nothing about it before I saw it. Colin Farrell plays an inept assassin under the tutelage of an experienced killer- but his first attempt to kill someone goes terribly wrong, and it haunts him. The story unfolds in beautiful Bruge- in Belgium. It is a fairy tale background for a gritty and grimly violent film that, nevertheless, is very funny in spots. And despite the lack of frank sexual acts, it is a very adult film that cannot be shared with kids of any age. I was going to give it a 4, but the fact that Colin Farrell is SO recognizable, as is Ralph Fiennes, is a major distraction. I liked not knowing the other actors. It was weird to see Fiennes play such an immature and depraved (and silly) character. I never lost sight of the fact that it was Ralph Fiennes. Or Farrell. I highly recommend this movie.