Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl

UGH. My friend, Liz, and I went to see this knowing that our husbands would not be interested in a story about Henry VIII and Scarlett Johansson. ScarJo is not much of an actress, and that is woefully seen in the few shots of her where she has no dialogue but the director yells "look happy" or something similar. She has to have dialogue to be in character, but never mind. As Anne Boleyn, Natalie Portman struggles with hysteria and screeching and tries valiantly to drag the half-dead Eric Bana , playing the formerly lusty Hank as a robotic lech, through scene after scene. It's as if Portman is pleading with the other actors to save her from the boring script and boring acting and boring story. I don't know WHAT went wrong here. Unless I read my own sentence about the boring part. It isn't even a good bodice ripper because everyone seems to be in a coma. It lasts for quite a while and then, mercifully, it is over. I am SO sorry this is not a good movie. The story is a phenomenal one and the BBC did it all quite beautifully in a 90 min special. I never like movies that portray historical facts in inaccurate ways. Most people don't go look up the facts, and totally believe the filmmakers are telling them the real story. Too bad. So this movie is not only bad, it is inaccurate. Go at your own risk.