Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Town

The movie is about a gang of 4 criminals (some not so petty, but some related to one another) who have been together a long time and live in Charlestown, MA. You won't recognize everyone in this film, but you will recognize Ben Affleck, Jon Hamm and Jeremy Renner- who could be called Stretch and Stubby. Renner seems to get shorter and shorter as the movie progresses. It's like he's shrinking. Hamm plays the FBI head as Don Draperish as he can- which is too bad. He should be more versatile. The gang gets together for a major heist even though they know the FBI is on to them. I have to say, it is a really good movie- there is palpable tension and best of all, the chase scenes are well-timed and worth watching. Regular Flickerchick followers (and I do love you) know how much I hate lengthy and ridiculous car chases or ski chases or boat chases. They waste time and hurt the pace of the film. But finally a movie has it right. I liked this movie much more than I thought I would. I do highly recommend it if you like just enough shooting, just enough car chases and just enough plot. I felt like the baby bear- it was just right.