Monday, November 7, 2011

Tower Heist

Yes, it is over the top schlocky nonsense. Yes, it stars a very random cast with Alan Alda, Eddie Murphy, Gabore Sidibe, Matthew Broderick, Ben Stiller, Casey Affleck- etc- and yes, they should have all known better. But you are in on the joke. This movie isn't trying to be serious at all. Alda plays a villain so rank that he should be wearing a black cape and twirling a moustache. Stiller is the earnest hotel manager who must right the wrong he has done. Sidibe is a "don't deport me" safe cracker. Eddie is the streetwise petty criminal.  It's all too easy. There's a tower, and there's a heist. Yet, somehow the silliness of it all is entertaining. You know how it will end before you even get there- and if it feels familiar, well, go rent the original Charlie's Angels. Same feeling. Fluffy and easy to watch and also easy to forget.  I'm glad I went, but I'm sorry I paid full price!