Sunday, March 18, 2012

21 Jump Street

Of COURSE I went to see it. (I'm sure you had your doubts).  Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are former high school opposites who become cops and get sent undercover in a high school to find the drug dealing supplier of the drug du jour that has killed a local student. It proves to be a chance for them to relive their high school angst, or lack thereof, in a sort of role reversal. The cast of regulars is in it- if you've seen the other Jonah Hill coming of age "comedies" you will recognize almost all of them. And yes, they get paid for it. Is it a bad movie? Well, not if you know what to expect. For what it is- silly, over done, high school boy gross, etc, it is done fairly well. It is raunchy, a bit violent, vulgar and doesn't pretend to be anything else. Alex laughed more than I did, but I was entertained. So I'll hit the middle ground with 2 stars.  It is never ridiculously funny or horrifically gross.  I am sure I will enjoy the upcoming American Pie sequel more, but til then, this is okay.