Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Trance

James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson and Vincent Cassel team up in Danny Boyle's new film about a stolen Goya, a hypnotherapist, a gang that uses torture, and twisty turns and backflashes and hocus pocus "is it real or isn't it" stuff. Now, I didn't like Inception because of all the stuff that could not POSSIBLY have happened and the crappy scene in the middle with all the fighting. I didn't like Memento because there were real cracks in the logic. REAL cracks. But if you liked those two movies, you'll probably like this one. We spent about a half hour after seeing this debating what really  happened and the order it happened in. Yep- it's that sort of movie. What really helps is the cast is great. So if you get lost, you just watch them act for a while until you can catch back up. I thought it was pretty good- I wouldn't have been sad to have missed it entirely though. I like thought provoking movies but not movies where I have to actually figure out what is happening. There is a difference.Some critics called it "sleek"- I would say it is more like a box of hidden trinkets, and it is up to you to dump it out and see what is there.  So go see it if you like disjointed movies- don't go see it if you don't. There. Ta da.