Saturday, October 20, 2012

Seven Psychopaths

Now, see here all you folk who think I am unnecessarily rough on movies that score well on the tomatometer- Seven Psychopaths is one percentage point higher than that mess The Master, and this will be a very, very, very good review. So relax.  I loved this movie- saw it with about 12 other people at one of the first showings. EVERYONE laughed. Some people (to my dismay) talked back to the screen. But that's a good sign usually. Take a dog napper, a serial killer, a couple of crazy people, a cute dog and a whole lot of graphic carnage (to the point of cartoonish feeling) and mix it with a snappy little script and familiarly fun actors, and voila!, a great little violent movie. It was so gruesome in parts that the audience gasped and laughed. No kidding. Me, too. Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walken- do you need to know more? Colin Farrell is a screenwriter, too- even that feels like a suspension of belief of some sort. Why a movie this violent and bloody and full of knives and guns should be so funny, well, I don't know. Maybe a psychologist could explain that. I'm not a horror film fan- at all. I can't even sit still for Dexter. BUT I'd go see this one again. Don't go if you hate blood and much worse- because it is very visual. Otherwise- have a great time!