Thursday, March 27, 2008

Horton Hears A Who

I saw this with only 6 other people in the theater! I expected hordes of knee biters with their chatty moms. I don't know where they were that day. I had to see what the fuss was all about- though nothing can equal Monsters, Inc for me. But this was pretty neat. This form of animation is now almost perfect- hair looks like hair, fur looks like fur, everything reacts in scenes with breezes or noises, etc. I really love that water, which is hard to capture in its essence even on film, is done so artfully. The dialogue is snappy Seuss, and the voices, despite being those of Steve Carell and Jim Carrey and Carol Burnett, were not distractingly recognizable. So it is totally unlike the Shrek films in that regard. I really was perplexed in the middle by a ridiculous anime sequence. I kid you not- what was THAT about? Why throw anime into a classic Seuss tale that stands on its own quite well? It was actually jarring and a bad decision. Once it returned to the actual story, it became enchanting again. Find a kid, and take them there. It's probably even nicer when there is a little kid enjoying it next to you.