Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Go Lucky

This is a Mike Leigh film, meaning it is really a character study. Of sorts. The lead character is a 30 year old, elementary school teacher named Poppy. She lives the life of extended adolescence that is very popular right now. And she is happy and silly. There are some bizarre moments, and some fresh moments and some poignant moments, but the problem is that the character and most of her mannerisms are so damn annoying that you don't care about her. She has an irritating habit of giggling under her breath, and of making inane conversation that one can't listen to without starting to itch. I couldn't decide if Mike Leigh wanted us to actually LIKE her, and unfortunately for me, that was the only way the movie could make sense. Of course, growing up and being an adult and committing to another person does NOT take away your ability to be happy. In fact, it rubs offs some of those annoying edges in most people. I'll give it 2 stars so you can go if you want and judge for yourself. But I doubt I'd have gone to see if despite its high rating among other reviewers. I think those reviewers just didn't pay attention!