Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Kids Are All RIght

As I was leaving the theater, I was trying to pick one word for this movie- and I think it is "authentic". Two lesbians (Annette Bening and Julianne Moore) are raising two kids who go find their sperm donor. Which, to me, any child would want to do. The need for identity is very strong, even if the guy is a disappointment in the end. In a hetero film, the sex scenes are often erotic. For some reason, the sex scenes in this are almost laughable. I am unsure as to whether or not that was deliberate. Mark Ruffalo, the donor, acts like a scruffy loser with a barrell of excuses in his arsenal. Yet he owns a successful restaurant- so he must have something going for himself. Bening looks 65. She really seems to not care, and maybe that's a good thing. Maybe she is the only actress in Hollywood who believes in using her face in her acting roles. The film is graphic in spots, certainly not for kids under 16(?) because otherwise it'd just be creepy. Is it worth the monumental reviews it got? I don't think so. It is a little preachy, talky in spots. But it is worth the price of admission. If you have missed it, be sure to rent it. I didn't find it funny at all. So I'll call it a drama because whenever two women live together, there is drama.