Monday, April 30, 2012

The Five Year Engagement

If you liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Muppet Movie, then run to buy a ticket because this is the same type of "it's all going to work out in the end" type of movie. Why? Because of Jason Segel, that's why. A wise man said that romantic comedies only work if you actually FEEL this couple is worth it. Now, I didn't. I thought Emily Blunt was woefully miscast- though she does act her heart out it just should be the heart that Jason Segel chooses. Segel may not be exceedingly handsome but to me, Blunt is not very attractive and certainly gives off no aura of sexual attractiveness at all. She is just bland and plain and not someone who, on the big screen, makes the audience believe that she is worth the pain she has handed out. The actual script is clever and believable. Segel is great- a real muppet of a man. But I felt the movie dragged because I couldn't understand why Segel would want to waste years of his life for her.  Sigh.