Friday, June 15, 2012

Rock of Ages

All those tight panty critics who give this 2 stars can suck it. I am going to give it FOUR stars- not just for some "rock ' n roll will stand" philosophy, but because it has sex, drugs (alcohol), rock and roll AND some 1987 rock songs that are somehow, someway connected to the very slight, very predictable and hilarious performed story line. Julianne Hough plays a perky new-to-Hollywood sort of modern Doris Day with stars in her eyes. She falls for the guy (somebody I never heard of but I guess they cast a nobody to play a nobody) who tries to save her from being robbed at the bus station (yep- the BUS STATION- that's 4 stars right there). Tom Cruise plays a raunchy aging rock star (4 MORE STARS!!!) and of course, there is  boozing, stripping, simulated sex acts, and- wait for it- a MONKEY like Michael Jackson had. WHAT more can a film do?? Of course it is silly- but adult silly. And you will be laughing at the likes of Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, and Paul Giammati. It is brilliant at what it sets out to do- parody, farce- you name it. But I smiled throughout. There is no sub-story. There is no pretense other than humor. I loved it, and I thought it was light and funny and exactly what I expected. Cruise is so good at playing Stacee Jaxx that he is worth the price of the ticket all by himself. So, if you don't want to see a sound track to 1987 with movie stars in it, then don't go. But I say, go have some fun- movies have become such a drag at times.