Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Elysium

Another film about how rich people are SO rich that they can totally separate themselves from the poor by creating their own Elysium- hilariously led by Matt Damon who is worth $65 million. I just love that. Keep in mind if you see this, that Mr Damon is also notoriously vocal about gun violence and gun control.  But that 65mil didn't come from NOT making movies where guns and graphic violence are used to entertain. The script is full of ridiculous loopholes- and it is pretty funny that when rich scriptwriters and actors think of the future, the earth is always destroyed by people who evidently cannot bathe, cannot pick up trash and rely on crappy medical care. Is that because the rich stop making soap and trash cans?  That might be part of the problem.  I know it is science fiction, but you'll notice there is also some race baiting here.  I groaned a few times in this movie- are audiences that stupid that they fall for these lines? Yeah, okay okay, it is "science fiction"- but obviously the actors believe in the story. I don't like apocalyptic sci-fi (stop asking why I WENT to it- I had to review it), but aside from that, I loved District 9 and other movies. I loved Mad Max. But this movie is just too much. And Matt Damon should be ashamed of himself because this movie implies he believes the rich are bad and hoarde all the money, and the poor are victims living in a wasteland.  It was very gory and kind of digusting. And it cost $33 for 2 of us to see it. No wonder the rich get richer!!! I'd say skip it if you can't separate Damon from the role he plays.