Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Bridge of Spies

Bridge of Spies takes my favorite basset hound, Tom Hanks (tell me you don't think he looks like that- just try to tell me), and makes him the guy who will get Frances Gary Powers out of prison.  Ms Flickerchick would like to tell you that she was indeed alive during the shooting down of the U2 spy plane containing Mr Powers-  until he jumped out of it.  And the cold war was awful back then- I know because I had to learn to hide under my desk at elementary school. (it was fine because I fit easily- not the case for some of my classmates). I loved this movie. Since many of the attendees really had no idea how it was going to end, I tried to imagine that I didn't. When that didn't work, I just went with it and began to really appreciate the great performances. To put this movie in the same category as Mad Max (sweet cheesus- wth is up with THAT nomination?) is ridiculous. See what I mean about the Coen brothers??? This great movie is written by them- and then we go see Hail Caesar and can't figure out how those guys stay employed.  It is inexplicable.  Spielberg directs. It is definitely one of the best of 2015.