Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

This is one of the worst movies ever done. I almost couldn't believe I sat through it. I wasn't alone- people filing out of the theater were babbling about what it meant. I read the book so long ago that the plot could and did elude me. Half the time you couldn't even guess which character was which when referred to by name. I'll tell you what I think- anyone (including some snobby critic) who tells you they thought the film was understandable is a pretentious fibber. Okay-they are lying. It is as obtuse as it can be without actually existing. Most people struggled to understand who the characters were, what they were doing, and what it meant. Some scenes were totally without purpose. The film has a heavy, moody atmosphere so that you can try to recall the Cold War and what it meant to be a spy in those heady days. I cannot recommend this film to anyone who hasn't read the original novel. It is stupid for a film to require the audience to sit in bewilderment. And if you haven't read the book, then that person in the audience could be you. Don't waste your money. Don't fall for the reviewers who gush over this mess. It isn't anything other than posing.