Friday, February 7, 2014

Lone Survivor

I was so afraid to see this movie- I avoided it until I realized that it is really a tribute to the incredible men who do the most dangerous missions with the most horrible cost if they are found. It's a true story of Navy Seals who went into Afghanistan in Operation Red Wings.  The title tells you the end, but it doesn't tell you the story. It is gritty and brutal and sad- their honor was their downfall. Because in America, we don't shoot children even if they can go find an adult who will shoot us. Not so much in Afghanistan. We teach our children with Sesame Street- they teach their children warfare.  It is much more involved than that. I was one of those people with tears streaming down my face- because these men are real. At the end of the movie, they show the families and lives left behind- personal pictures that bring their loss right into your heart.  I could stay composed through the battle scenes, but I couldn't keep it together seeing what these unbelievably heroic men did, and did for my safety and yours. I can't imagine the sense of loss. So, if you are up to it, definitely go see it. It is really remarkable and 99% of it is true to the event, unlike most movies now.  But bring about 5 tissues and some sun glasses.